Wednesday, July 30, 2008

New Polaroid Camera bought - "The Reporter"































I just bought this at another thrift store on Sunday, 07/28/2008. I got it for $3 and change. The camera's model is "The Reporter". It was first on the market in 1971. I've done some preliminary tests using it, and I am pretty pleased with it so far. First, it uses AA batteries like the Polaroid Minute Maker, and it has a front cover so it's light meter isn't constantly sapping the batteries. It's also a decent amount more compact than the LandCamera 210 that I've been working with for some time now.

I've done some playing around with it, and I've noted:
  1. It has no focusing aid in the viewfinder, and the focusing mechanism is a ring around the lens like most contemporary cameras. Normally I'd say that would be a bad thing, but I've had to get pretty good with guestimating my distance with my LandCamera 210. The 210 has a focusing aid that is based off the size of a human head - put the head between the two lines without overlapping or any gaps and it should be in focus. This would be great if I shot more people, but it's mostly useless for my purposes.
  2. There are three ISO settings - 75, 3000, and 3000 ER. The 75 behaves how it should, as does the 3000 (with the aperture mask covering the shutter making the aperture f/58). The curious part is that the 3000 ER removes the aperture mask. I did some testing, and it appears that this mode is for shooting indoors without flashcubes. Everything shot was just as I thought it should be. This alone has me really fascinated by the camera.
  3. It has a tripod mount. Yes, the camera has a tripod mount! I was pretty surprised by this fact. If only I had it for the 4th of July and fireworks and fountains! It can't be helped, but that's another plus to this camera.
  4. Just push the button, the picture is taken. Very much unlike the 210. I do like this as it helps me work a little more quickly.
  5. I could be mistaken, but it appears that there is a hole for a cable release by the shutter. Again, this is a very nice part of the camera.

I will likely still use the 210, but I must admit that it's quite nice to have more than one option when it comes to shooting with Polaroids. The Cable Release and Tripod Mount are most interesting - I will likely be using those two features fairly regularly for some of the projects.

The focusing ring seems slightly loose and the rollers and film slot had some chemistry deposits on them, but aside from that, the camera was in fantastic shape with little dust. Unlike the other similar camera we saw at the same thrift store... Which we used for pricing of the camera. I will likely be trying the Reporter out with the FP-100C shortly, but I do know it handles FP-3000B admirably. At most, I anticipate to turn the dial a little towards the dark.

Edit: Upon using the camera some more, I'm sort of noticing that it seems to vignette the edges a little bit. While it's not too big of a problem, it still is something that is noticable, especially with dark shots. I could be imagining it - more tests are needed.

3 comments:

Robbie Brindley said...

i just bought a polaroid colorpack minutemaker today.. and ordered some fuji film for it and i hope it all works out..

Steven said...

Yeah - I have the Minute Maker as well. Just make sure you're using a Fuji film that's 100 ISO, either FP-100C or FP-100B (Color/Black and white respectively).

Enjoy the camera. I know I'm satisfied with mine.

Terr said...

I have camera very similar to this one. It's the EE100 Special. I've had it for a few years now and never got around to using it before Polaroid discontinued their films.

I'm interested in finding out which films your using for this camera and how the results are.