Sunday, June 15, 2008

Catching up again - more cameras.

I'm going to go as chronologically as I can remember here. I can't remember exact dates, but I know I found this Polaroid LandCamera 210 (circa 1967-1969) at another thrift store. It was $10 for the camera, a case, and a flash bulb attachment.


So far I've really liked this camera - I used it for a decent number of the projects I've been working on. It's pretty dependable, and it is in good working condition. I had to get used to guestimating the distance from my subject for focusing. Unlike the 230, which uses a prism to show two independant images and it's focused when they line up, it uses a focusing aid that assumes your subject is an average sized adult as you measure the head. After getting used to that, the camera works quite well.


I got the Canon AE-1 a bit after this. I ended up spending $25 for the camera, the Canon 50mm f1.4 lens, the Canon 35-70mm f4-5.6, and the little Vivitar Flash there. Again, I checked it to make sure the camera's innards were working fine. Of course, as I was checking the camera, I remembered that this camera actually has the shutter release run off of battery power. Not 100% knowing if it worked or not, I bought it anyway, bought the 4LR44 battery, and to my joy, it worked.
This was my first prime lens I've worked with, and I must say, I am getting spoiled by having a lens that stops down so far. It really opens up what you can do with low light situations. It's about just as useful and helpful as a zoom lens if not more. I rather like this camera - it's got some decent heft to it, it is comfortable, and it has the prism inside of the viewfinder where you line up the top and bottom half as a focusing aid.

No comments: