Friday, June 20, 2008

FINALLY the thrift stores are becoming my friends again!!!

I've had somewhat of a dry spell when it comes to finding stuff to slap emulsions onto lately. Not a whole lot has really jumped out at me like the Cabbage Patch Kid head or anything for the last couple of weeks...

THANKFULLY, over lunch today I returned to the Thrift store and found an odd translucent hollow bunny statuette wearing a clear blue vest. There's a little recepticle for a tiny light bulb (from what I can tell, probably nothing larger than that for a Christmas Tree) as well. It's not TOO big, but in all honesty, it fascinated me. First, I'm admitedly a manchild when it comes to bunnies. I'm not sure why, but I just love them. Alot. Second, this piece looked intriguing. The biggest problem I had with some of my more translucent pieces was lack of lumiescence. Look at "20 IF 10 = TRUE GOTO 30" - since it was mostly clear, it didn't show up through the glass as well. Now if I had a light to shine through the piece, it could be more impressive.

Anyways, I decided to grab it during lunch - I needed something new to finish up my tests on Fuji, and really, this sounds like the test for the rest of my film. I've already done it on something with a smooth contour (a Diet Coke with Splenda can), so this will be a chance to do something with a good amount of ... well, nooks, crannies, and the like. Also, its texture is slightly more rough than the can, so it will be a good chance to see how well the Fuji emulsion works with textures. I mean, I'm not 100% sure how it works with texture, but just from the scant work I've done with it thus far, I think it will more than suffice when it comes to the whole "taking on the texture of the receptor" deal.

anyways, I should crash. Take care.

No comments: