Thursday, June 26, 2008

Learning Curve for the FP-100B Emulsion Lifts

'Twas a valiant effort for doing the emulsion lift onto the GameBoy Advance SP, but alas. I ran into some decent problems with the process. Well, a few issues, to be honest.

1) It appears that I may need to boil the Black and White emulsions for far longer than I originally thought. As I peeled off the film, I noted white splotches placed near the center of the shot. I am thinking it's due to the glue not being completely loosened and coming along for the ride. It is looking like I'm going to have to boil them completely until the film fully separates from the frame.

2) Getting the emulsion to stay on the surface of the GBA is proving to be problematic. I may actually need to place a thin layer of Mod Podge onto the GBA before I put the emulsion on to give something to grab onto. After that I'll have to put more onto the top. At least, that's what I am thinking at this point. When I started to take off the tape, some of the emulsion came along with it. This could be disheartening, but only time will tell. Perhaps it can be solved with a little pre-treating?

I may want to hold up on working on the GBA just yet. I love that little GBA, so I want to make sure I do my best with it. It wasn't a complete failure, as I've learned a good amount from it all. Always a learning experience.

2 comments:

Sheila Cunningham said...

Steve, I would not use Mod Podge, which in my experience takes forever to dry and always seems tacky. I would use Gel Medium, either liquid or paste. Collage artists use gel mediums to attach all sorts of items to substrates.

Steven said...

Interesting, Shiela. I've had some good results with the Mod Podge thus far, but I think I may go to check out the Gel Medium. Are there any brands that I should look out for?

One thing I do like about the Mod Podge is that given the first bits of experimentation is that it appears to not just protect the emulsion from damage, but also from UV light. So far, I've had the pieces at an exhibit, including one right by a window, and it appears not to be fading at all.

Know if the Gel Medium also acts as a UV Protectant?